Re: [FW1] Problems with ICMP filtering

Sebastian,

Unfortunately, ICMP is NOT statefully inspected.  Therefore, you're most
likely accepting the outbound ICMP echo-requests, but dropping the
return ICMP echo-replys.  You can solve this by either creating a rule
allowing "ANY" "that-one-internal-net" "ICMP-echo-reply" "allow", or
simply tell people that they can't ping to the Internet period.  I've
successfully disabled ICMP to the Internet for this reason (there are
TONS of things that an attacker could do using open ICMP tunnels - I
won't go into that right now...)  One thing I did, to compromise, is
allow my internal nets to ping the next hop router out of our network
(and allowed ICMP echo-replies back from it.)  I then put a DNS alias in
our internal DNS, for that next hop router, called "pingme.domain.com".
That way, people can still test connectivity, but the holes are
drastcally reduced.  Hope this helps!

Jason