From: C.M. Wong [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2000 10:15 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [FW1] Fw rule Q.

Hi all,

My first two rule is the default:

source  dest  traffic  action
any	  fw	  any	     deny
fw      any   any      deny

I have a scenario whereby I need to connect from the fw to one of my
internal servers. Hence I place the rule right on top of the default 2 rules
like so:

fw      <some_ip>      <specific port>     accept  # rule 1
any	  fw	  	     any	     		 deny     # rule 2
fw      any   	     any		       deny     # rule 3

For some reason when I do a telnet <some_ip> <specific_port>, I get no
response. Checking the logs, rule 3 is blocking the traffic. But if I remove
rule 3, everything works and guess what, rule 0 is allowing the traffic
through and not rule 1. huh? I know rule 0 are some of the fw-1 properties
settings, but I have removed the dangerous ones (like icmp, dns etc) on day
one. Any of you guys can shed a light here on why this is occurring??

For the record, fw-1 41 sp2 is being run. TIA.

Rgrds,
Wong.