[FW1] Bizarre FTP behaviour for some files

Dear All,

We are experiencing a very strange problem with FTP downloads. We are able
to establish FTP connections with remote servers and initiate data
downloads. However, certain files stall (sometimes continue intermittantly)
and the behaviour is repeatable. We tested this using our own FTP server on
our DMZ as follows:

Establish control connection
GET a 10Mb ZIP file - 15 seconds
GET the same ZIP file - 15 seconds
GET a 10Mb DOC file - 5 seconds of rapid download, then small bursts of data
transfer, then restarts, then stalls and connection is eventually lost

This is absolutely consistent. The rule has been modified such that it is
now INTERNAL ANY FTP ALLOW LOG (previously FTP was being scanned by ESPG).
The log shows the connection being established and there are no drops.

I am guessing that there is something in the data stream that is causing
FW-1 problems but this is causing a great deal of difficulty. Users are
complaining lots and I really need to find a solution. Any help would be
much appreciated.

Platform is Sun box running Solaris; FW-1 4.0 SP6.

Regards,
Adrian Wilson.
Infrastructure Engineer
VEGA Group