Re: [FW1] Solaris routing question

"Barringer Nick" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 11:21:38 +0100
>
>Hi,
>
>I need to set up my firewall to route internally from my DMZ to a host with
>a non-reserved IP address. I do not want to route the entire network
>internally as the company is using only part of a class B range.

Sun does not support RIPv2, which is what you want for VLSM routing.  What
this actually means is routed, the bundled Solaris routing daemon, is not
RIPv2 capable.  However, the OS is perfectly capable of understanding VLSM,
(as far back as 2.5 I think.)  You can build a static routing table with
VLSM support.  From the route(1M) man page:

	example% route add 192.0.2.32/27 somegateway

	will create an IPv4 route to the destination 192.0.2.32 with
	a netmask of 255.255.255.224,

netstat -rvn will show you the routing table with a netmask column.
This works as long as you are not sending routing updates, for that
you will need some routing daemon that understands VLSM, gated, for example.

>Can I get away with just adding the one host in S79fw1-routes? I can not see
>a way of adding the network they are using with an appropriate subnet mask
>in this file.

You might want to specify networks & masks in /etc/netmasks, I don't know
if Solaris reads this file as it builds a routing table, haven't tried it.

[Usual disclaimer about my opinions != my employer's .. yada yada]

CT