RE: [FW1] Open Lotus Port inbound?

Hi,

lotus domino also offers a web based link to the mailboxes
of the users. If the lotus relay server is in an additional dmz,
externals can be allowed to connect to this web server using SSL
(128 Bit) and strong authentication (Secure ID or Active Card).
The DMZ Lotus domino server itself replicates the databases with
the internal and central lotus server.

To determine whether this is a appropriate solution you need to
discuss the security level you need. Against the usual onsets at
the network layer this design offers appropriate protection. But
what about the application security? The external opens a SSL
connection. Everybody must be allowed to do this. After this
connection is established the user must authenticate himself via
one time password. So the application security also should be
adequate. But this is part of a concept which discusses these
considerations.

robert

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Warren Barrow wrote:

> It's my personal opinion you should throw the implementer and his crew out
> of the project (and out of your office).  SecuRemote is definitely not hard
> to set up; a monkey could click through the setup options and define a site.
> If you use securemote to get to the lotus server-- that's alright.  I highly
> suggest you -NOT- allow any other traffic other than SMTP from the internet
> to that lotus server.  It would be optimal to stick an smtp relay in the DMZ
> to forward the incoming mail to the lotus server.  The lotus server should
> definitely sit on the internal network because it contains too much
> information to be in the DMZ.  The relay in the DMZ would greatly reduce the
> risk of compromise since no one would be allowed to connect to the internal
> network.
>
> Why would you want to allow lotus traffic to the server from the Internet?
>
> -Warren.

Robert Binder
IT-Security Consultant

Integralis, Niederlassung München
Gutenbergstr. 1
D-85737 Ismaning
Tel: +49-89-94573-235
Fax: +49-89-94573-119
http://www.integralis.de/

A member of the Articon-Integralis Group