[FW1] FTP problem

Set up is Mgmt Module 4.0 SP7 and a firewall 3.0b SP9 both on NT4.0 SP5.

I have users complaining that ftp is not working.

When I looked in the firewall logs I could see the client connect to the ftp
server on the control port. I noticed however that the ftp-data back
connection from the server to the client was being dropped by my last rule
(clean-up rule).

The global properties under services has both Enable FTP PORT Data
Connections and also
Enable FTP PASV Data Connections have both been checked so I would have
thought I would not need to set up an explicit rule.

Can anyone please enlighten me, do I need to explicitly define a rule, if so
what does the pseudo rule do?

If anyone can also define what ~ local client means in the implied pseudo
rules I would also be grateful.

Thanks in anticipation....Peter.