From: Brockhoven, Werner <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
<[email protected]>
Sent: Wed Aug 20 02:55:00 2003
Subject: Re: [FW-1] NG AI DNS settings

Hello,

Since you are running on windows 2000, the recommended way to configure
dns is to only put dns servers on 1 interface and not both.  The dns
server that is configured there SHOULD be able to provide ALL the dns

So in your case I would recommended configuring you internal dns server
on the first NIC of your machine and this internal dns server should be
able to forward dns requests to the Internet/your external dns servers
and thus providing resolution for every requests it receives.

The way dns resolution works on windows 2000 as per my understanding is
as follows:

- NIC's in win2000 will have a certain priority to them
- windows will query the dns servers on each NIC in this specific order

Example:
NIC1
 - dns1
 - dns2
NIC2
 - dns3

In this configuration, windows will first query dns1, if it DOES NOT
receive any response, it will query dns2, if still does not receive a
response it switches to dns3.

Important here to understand is that, a 'I DO NOT KNOW' response from
the queried dns server will stop any further queries to other dns
servers on the same or other NIC's.

Regards,

Werner