[FW1] secure remote

I am having a problem since I installed secure remote on my laptop running
windows ME. I have installed build 4176. I was testing connecting through
my network card which goes through a cable modem which I know doesn't
always work. When the connection failed I tried to connect to things
outside the VPN like phoneboy's web page but could no longer get there.
I tried uninstalling secure remote and still my network card doesn't work
right. After looking around I've noticed it's only effecting TCP traffic.
Things like ping and dhcp work fine. I've tried reinstalling the
network driver which didn't make a difference. I've searched though
phoneboy but so far haven't found anything which helped. Does anyone have
any ideas?

thanks in advance

caroline